Benefits of Braces
There are a host of cosmetic and health-related reasons that inspire people choose to go through the discomfort of having braces. The reality is however, crooked teeth alone do not cause long-term problems for most people.
For many, there’s a belief that straight teeth contribute to a nicer smile and as such, a nicer smile boosts self-esteem. For children, this positive self-image can carry forward throughout life and contribute to future success; for adults, self-esteem is critically important in many professional settings and social situations.
For many, it’s a balancing act between the risk and discomfort, and feeling good about your smile and yourself over time. To determine is you would profit from the benefits of braces, here are a number of factors to consider when determining if your health and well-being is affected by your smile:
- Determine if your crooked teeth cause you pain. This includes headaches, back aches, and even pain in the joints of your jaw.
- Check yourself for an under-bite - when the lower jaw is longer than the upper jaw, and juts forward – by clamping your teeth and smile into a mirror.
- Check yourself for an over-bite - the opposite of an under-bite – and if this is you, your front bottom teeth will not be visible when you smile.
- Do you frequently suffer from an upset stomach, this can be related not properly chewing food from teeth that are not properly aligned.
- Do you have breathing problems when you are sleeping, especially in adults, caused by a poor palette construction?
Properly aligned teeth and jaws may alleviate many of these symptoms. Furthermore, straight teeth are less prone to injury. The ability to take better care of the teeth through improved oral hygiene also helps prevent future oral health concerns.
Dentistry Plus Orthodontics’ Brantford Mall Dental offers a host of services as part of our general dentistry practice, including braces to correct a number of issues including under bites, over bites, cross bites, deep bites, and crooked teeth.
We understand that when your teeth aren’t properly aligned, ordinary tasks like chewing or smiling can be difficult. That’s why we offer both metal braces and invisible Invisalign® treatments, so you can explore the multiple options available for teenagers and adults.
If you are self-conscious of your smile but have no health problems associated with your teeth, getting braces is a great way to boost your self-confidence. However, if you are on a budget, or concerned about the investment required discuss payment plans in advance with your chosen orthodontist. When it comes to your oral health, you can trust our professional, reliable, and all-encompassing care when it comes to your oral health. Visit us at Brantford Mall Dental or call us at 519-759-1121 to book your appointment today!